Tuesday, February 24, 2009

ABC's and 123's

It's only natural for a parent to compare their first child to their second child and so on....

And yes, I am guilty of doing this. Most of the time I keep these comparisons to myself, knowing that although my children are from the same parents, they are oh-so-very-different.

You know:
  • straight hair v/s long hair
  • quiet and reserved v/s opinionated and often bossy
  • eats red meat v/s eats only processed 'red' meat

Those are the obvious ones.

The not so obvious is more apparent to me.

Jack has always been eager to learn. I can't remember exactly when he started saying his ABC's and 123's but it was early. I worked with him quite a bit and we had fun playing 'learning' games. I remember him learning his shapes from play-doh and his letters from those foamy things in the bathtub.

Well- number two hasn't always been so eager to learn.

Don't get me wrong...Ri loves to sing and dance and play, but actually sitting down w/ me and learning anything: not. She finally, for the very FIRST time tonight, said her ABC's from start to finish w/o interruption (almost) and I didn't even ask her to sing them. For months and months I have been trying to get her to say them. She will start and then get distracted and move on to something more fun, like her baby dolls.

So tonight: I was folding clothes on the bed when Ri walks in. She walks over to Kody's bed and sits down w/ him like she usually does. She begins to sing... I don't say anything or look at her b/c I don't want her to know that I am watching. This is what she sang:

A B C D E F G H I K J L M N O P Q R S T U V W X....

and then she starts to giggle w/ Kody. I have full confidence that she would have finished it if our dog hadn't distracted her.

Anyway. Enough for now.

Until next time...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails