Wednesday, July 28, 2010

A Random List of Thoughts



1. Jack is loving, loving, loving Camp Whip-Poor-Will this week. He's fishing, meandering through creeks, creating crafts out of leather, learning archery, singing songs, building tee-pees, making bird baths and all kinds of stuff. I am so glad we decided to bite the bullet and sign him up this year. We'll be going it again next year, without a doubt.

2. I made my first ever successful loaf of banana bread this past weekend. I don't bake, except for chocolate chip cookies. Baking is too 'precise' for me. I'd rather throw some stuff together in a pan/pot/skillet/casserole dish/crockpot and call it a meal. Every time I have tried to make banana bread it ends up too gooey, falls in the middle or is too crusty on top. But not this time. It turned out perfect.

3. Ri had her 4 year well visit today. Unfortunately for her this visit was loaded up with vaccines. Ouch. She did great though- telling the Dr. all about her birthday party, etc. She is trucking along and doing great- just a tad over 10% for height and weight (hey- at least we have one kid in the double digits). I did express my concern over Ri's lack of fine motor skills (in my eyes). He said it's pretty normal for this age to see a slight deficiency in this department. He thinks she'll move along just fine during this upcoming school year. We are debating having her go to TK (a transitional kindergarten class). Lucky for us we have a long time before we have to decide.

4. My car is back in the shop. It's 5 months old and had been in two minor accidents. The rental car place gave me a Suburban to drive for the week. Yikes. I cannot believe I drove that school bus for 5 years. It's a beast, and that is no exaggeration. I miss my Traverse more than ever this week. Plus I put $40 worth of gas in the the tank and it only filled it up halfway. Don't miss that at all.

5. It's back to the beach next week. Just the kids and I this time. Some friends of ours are renting a house about 1o minutes away from Poppy and Gammy's neighborhood so we'll be beachin' it with them a lot while we're down there.

6. I need to go school shopping. The supply lists are R.I.D.I.C.U.L.O.U.S. these days. I cannot believe the amount of stuff we have to buy for school. I remember getting a few pencils, notebooks and a 68 pack of Crayola crayons (the one with the pencil sharpener in the back). And that's about it. Except for maybe a new lunch box too, you know the metal kind. Like this:


I am not sure if I ever had a Care Bear one, but I wouldn't put it past me. I was totally into Care Bears at one point in my young life.

7. Our family is pretty banged up right now. Jack had a nasty spill off the diving board (wasn't looking) and scraped his leg up, requiring multiple rubbings of Neosporin. Riley rubbed her inner thighs raw from those swimming pool noodles. She played 'horsey' with them two days in a row and is paying the price. Her wounds require lots of Vaseline, baby powder, band-aids and love. And me- I have an enlarged cyst on one of my ovaries that's causing some pain and discomfort. Nothing to worry about- it will go away in time- just need to lay low for a couple of weeks. We'll see how that goes.

8. A few days ago we went downtown to the Discovery Place. They just reopened after a major overhaul. Wow. They did a great job. The kids had a blast. We saw everything from Venus Fly Traps to seahorses to Madagascar cockroaches to frogs. It is really quite an experience. I'd like to take Jack back, just the two of us, and really explore and learn. Here are some pics from our trip downtown:



















That's it for now.

Until next time...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails