Friday, January 5, 2007

A Comedy of Errors

I swear I feel like I have been living someone else's life the last few days. Let me tell you about it.

First, let me preface by saying that I am never sick. I get the occasional runny nose like everyone else, but I am never confined-to-the-bed-sick. I have allergies, but since we lived at the beach years ago those have been under wraps. This year has been totally different. I was sick in October, my mom had to come up to help with the kids. No big deal. Then after Turkey Day I was hit with a serious virus that clogged my sinuses and made me ache for days. Mom to the rescue again.

Then this week hits. It started over a week ago with a cough, just a little cough at first. Last Friday night while we were sitting almost courtside at the Lakers/Bobcats game Todd kept asking me, "Are you miserable or what?" I couldn't stop coughing. That, in turn, made my head hurt and chest feel super tight and achey. Get through New Years and still coughing. Finally, on Tuesday I felt super wheezy, called the Dr. and made an appt. for the next morning.

Wednesday morning I wake up miserable after a night of sleep on the couch tossing and turning and coughing. It sucked. Todd took Jack to preschool and I had to take Riley to the peds for her 6 mth well check up. (16 lb even- 50-60% in everything.) After her three shots she passes out in the car on the way to my Dr. appt.

I am in the little room waiting on the Dr. Riley is awake, sitting in her stroller, kind of fussy from her shots. The Dr. walks in and listens to my chest, checks my ears, etc. She says,

"Well, you have bronchitis for sure and you're probably working on pnemonia."

What the hell?

She prescribes me an inhaler, steroids, an antibiotic and a narcotic cough medicine and tells me to go straight home and get to bed. I jokingly tell her that's a little hard since I have to pick my son up and have a husband who is in important meetings. Well, she proceeds to GO OFF on husbands, telling me how easy they have it and they should be around more. I couldn't believe it. I was hiding my tears. I think she is a lesbian. Anyway. I should have called her to let her know that Todd came home early to help me.

I take all meds and feel soooo much better. Too good to be true right? Right.

Wake up Thursday morning (oh- mom came back up Thursday morning) with hives all over my arms and legs. Call the nurse. I am directed to stop taking all meds and get some Benadryl in me right away. I do and it knocks me out, like three-bottles-of-wine out. Nurse says if I still feel bad (duh) to take the antibiotic but nothing else. Who would guess by Thursday afternoon I was coughing and wheezing again. Called the nurse again and she said to go ahead and take the cough medicine and inhaler. Sweet, now I can sleep. NOT. Something has been keeping me up. The narcotic cough medicine had the opposite affect on me. Ugh. Plus, last night around 11 I broke out in hives again.

Fast forward to this morning I go back to the Dr. after another bought with hives this morning. He gives me a chest X-ray, no pnemonia!!! I do get a breathing treatment which was wonderful. It opened me right up. Now I am back on the steroids and inhaler, but no cough medicine or antibiotic!!

Agghhhh..... now if Riley will just get rid of her runny nose and Jack will get rid of his cough we'll be good to go.

Until next time...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails