Monday, July 30, 2012

20 Years Ago

Twenty years ago I was packing up my bedroom to go to college, listening to Boys II Men, Kriss Kross, Sir Mix-A-Lot, Toad the Wet Sprocket and M.C. Hammer.
Too Legit to Quit and Baby Got Back were our theme songs the summer before college.   
I packed and packed and packed- all summer long.  
I swear I think I was packed and ready to go a month before I could move into my dorm.

I'll never forget driving the twenty minutes down the road onto the University of South Carolina campus, waiting for a coveted spot on the elevator in Baker dorm and seeing my room for the 1st time.
Soon enough it was plastered with pictures of my high school friends and posters of Troy Aikman that my Dallas Cowboys obsessed roommate taped all over her walls.  She even had a Troy Aikman Trapper Keeper - in college. 
I cannot believe I lived for nine months in that tiny room with another person.
I REALLY cannot believe I put on Adidas slides and a purple robe to walk down the hall and around the corner to take a shower. Gross. 

My twenty year high school reunion was this past weekend. 
I really had no idea what to expect.
But whatever it was that I 'expected' - it exceeded that by a looong shot. 
Seriously- I had the time of my life. 
My dearest friend Rachel coined it best in a group text to a bunch of girls the following morning: 
"Last night felt like going home."
It did. 

As I sat at the bar talking to more people that I can count I felt like I was having an out-of-body experience. 
It almost felt like we were back in high school- illegally drinking Busch Light in someone's house or some dirt road.
Instead we were sipping a beverage of our choice that we purchased legally- and without being carded.

Time has passed. 
Twenty long years of time.
But in a weird way it felt like no time had passed. 
We were all quickly taken back in time, to a place that felt like home. 
And it was wonderful.

The class of '92 is a diverse group.
Most of us have kids. 
More than one.
One of us just had a baby.
Two of 'them' own a bar.
One of us is a speech therapist.
One of us recently went to India.
One of us just met the 'man of her dreams' -after patiently waiting.
One of us is about to embark on the battle of her life: chemo. 
A few of 'them' are about to have their 1st children.
One of us passed away almost two years ago.

But last night we were all the same.
Just a group of people that happened to graduate high school in 1992.
A group of people that bonded waaay back when.
And again last night. 

I cannot wait for the next one.
I wouldn't miss it for the world.

Until next time...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails