Friday, January 7, 2011

These Are a Few of My Favorite Things

A couple of weeks ago I watched The Sound of Music. I'm not a movie buff and really am not a big movie watcher- but I do love that movie. It takes me back, way back.

Back to when I was a kid. I remember watching it year after year after year. I haven't watched it in quite a few years so it was a treat. And I DVR'd it so I could fast forward the commercials! Nice.

My favorite song/scene hands down is when Julie Andrews sings "These Are a Few of My Favorite Things." Such a great song. It made me think of what some of my favorite things were as a kid. Let's see if I can remember (this is from my elementary school years):

Me

Cabbage Patch Kids
blue bike with banana boat seat
giant tree in our backyard
my best friends Michele and Meredith
playing 50 Scatter with the neighborhood kids
sledding down the big hills at the front of the neighborhood
GIANT homemade slip-n-slide
jumping on the Nord's trampoline (with NO net)
biking to the gas station for candy- sans parents
my 3rd grade teacher
Paison's Italian subs (I think that's how it's spelled)
Steve Alford (former Indiana University basketball player)
a cute boy named Tavis - total crush on the kid for years
big sandbox my mom made
raking leaves into houses
roadtripping to North Myrtle Beach every summer


I am going to take a stab at what Jack and Riley's favorite things would be, right now, at 7 and 4 1/2 years of age.

Jack

baseball bat
playing with friends
tuna sushi rolls
swimming
Geronimo Stilton books
his Dad
spying on his sister
watching basketball with his Dad
the Yankees
his iPod
Mario Brother's DSi game
Lady Gaga and Katy Perry
Nick Swisher
being outside
Chic-fil-A
steak
his pillow pet
Dee
Phiten necklaces
his sister (on a good day)
me (I hope)

----------------------------------

Riley

milk
Emily, Bitty, Molly (American Girl Dolls)
any LIVE dog (soon to be Swisher)
me
her friends (Addy and Emelia especially)
swimming
jamming to tunes in my car
Beyonce
Black Eyed Peas
her teacher Mrs. Muth
Chic-fil-A
absolutely anything with sugar on it
her Daddy (usually)
the nail salon (I'm ashamed to say)
coloring
reading
being read to
laughing
Mickey Mouse (on TV- NOT in person)
steak

Maybe I can remember to make these lists periodically - it would be fun to look back at them from time to time to see how they change- and what stays the same.

Until next time...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i remember every. single. one. of the things on your list. thanks for the smile and trip down memory lane!! remember drawing dials and buttons all over that tree to make it a rocket ship? remember catching your brother and brad looking at the bra page from the sears catalog while they were having a "club meeting" in that tree? remember drawing all the traffic signs in chalk on the street around the neighborhood then having to obey them all on our bikes? why on earth did our parents think it was okay to let us go to nords for HOURS by ourselves to jump on the trampoline and swim in the pool??? that boggles my mind ... those were some seriously fun years.

Related Posts with Thumbnails